Reds, nudes, pink, and purples.. but what about blues?
Okay, so blue may not be the most conventional lipstick colour, but it seems like “wacky” colours, a la blues, blacks, greens, and really anything that can be classified as “unicorn shades” are so totally in right now.
A few months ago, Lime Crime sent me a few of their products to test out. I have been wanting to try their lipsticks for so long, but of course the only colour they sent was this bright blue shade, called Cry Baby, a collab they did with Atlantic Records artist Melanie Martinez.
Cry Baby is an ocean blue shade that is so gorgeous to look at, but totally not wearable for everyday. Or really, for most occasions. I love looking at it, but I feel like if I were to wear it out in public I would get so many stares (it’s not really a shade I can wear to work.. or on a date..).
Anyways, when I found out I was going to Frosh Festival this past Sunday at the University of Manitoba where a bunch of EDM DJs were playing, I thought this could be my chance to finally put this on.
But how to wear it?
Well, since this is such a bold lipstick, the rest of the makeup should be soft. You can sport just a black cat eye and lashes and be done with it, or you can sport soft pink and nudes, like I did in this post.
1. Fill in your brows (I used Gerard Cosmetics Brow Bar To Go), and then lay down a shimmery cream-coloured cream eyeshadow. I used MAC Paint Pot in Bare Study. Then, with an orange shadow, like Make Up For Ever Artist Shadow in L-802, lightly dust this in your crease to act as a transition shadow.
2. With the Anastasia Beverly Hills Shadow Couture palette, I grabbed the colour Morocco on a crease brush and worked this into the crease.
3. With a cream eyeshadow, like NYX Prismatic Shadow in Girl Talk, place this on the lid area.
4. Before we move onto liner, apply your foundation. I used Marc Jacobs Re(Marc)able Foundation in 34.
5. Next, with a black liquid liner, line your upper eyelid, winging it out. After, apply some mascara.
6. If you wish, you can apply some false lashes. I used the Kiss Ever EZ starter kit, which includes the most perfect wispy lashes, glue, and tweezers to apply the lashes. I don’t usually use the glue included in these kits, but this one worked great. I highly recommend this set.
For under the eyes, I dusted on Morocco, then put a nude liner in my waterline. After, I put a coat of mascara on my lower lashes.
7. Next, apply your concealer. I used Emani HD Corrective Concealer. Then, apply a bronzer to contour; I used Vita Liberata Trystal Minerals. To finish up the face, apply a peach-coloured blush, like NARS Madly, and a highlight to the tops of your cheekbones for some shine. I used the highlight from the Make Up For Ever Pro Sculpting Duo.
8. For the lips, I used Lime Crime lipstick in Cry Baby.
I am so obsessed with this look, that I’m sad I don’t go to more events where I can wear it. I will say though that at the concert I had so many people come up to me and say they love my lipstick.
I might just have to fill up my planner with more occasions where I can rock this blue, cause I’m certainly not crying over this look.
How do you rock blue?
Like what you read? Check out these related posts:
- Fake it! Hangover-free makeup
- It’s a scandal! Rimmel London ScandalEyes Eyeshadow Sticks
- A punch of colour: Maybelline Color Sensational Vivids (photos, swatches, and more)
- It Cosmetics Hello Lashes 5-in-1 mascara