If there is one understated makeup line out there, it’s Kat Von D.
Yes, I know the line is quite popular (her Studded Lipstick in Lolita is the number-one selling lipstick in the States), but compared to all the rest of the brands, I usually don’t gravitate towards the Kat Von D area. Why? I don’t know.
With that being said, everything I’ve tried from her line is amazing. The colours are so pigmented and she’ll come out with shades that are – for a lack of a better word – unconventional. Think emerald green lipstick. Lime green eyeshadow. You get the point…
Similar to last year, and just like every other brand, the tattooist came out with a holiday collection, including an eyeshadow palette. Similar to a record case, this guy slides out and includes 24 high-pigmented eyeshadows. Not only are there seven neutral shades, but the real stars of the show are the 14 colourful shadows in mattes and shimmers that make up the bulk of the palette.
If you love colour, then you must pick up this palette. When I first took a look at it I thought it would be, for the most part, out of my everyday comfort zone. When I glanced at it again, trying to brainstorm a look for this post, I couldn’t decide which shade I wanted to use to create a look. Do I want to do green? What about blue? I ended up going with crimson, but then when I started playing with it, I actually mixed in a copper too, creating a sunset on the eyes.
Kat Von D came out with a holiday palette last year as well, which I also loved. Her shadows are super pigmented and definitely pack some punch. The only thing I don’t love about them is that there typically is a lot of fallout. When you tap your brush to get rid of the excess, a lot of powder comes off them. With that being said, every shade I tried from this palette – and last years – I found a little did go a long way.
1. Lay down an eyeshadow primer, then using Noble and a fluffy crease brush, lightly brush this into the crease to act as your transition shade.
2. With a flat shader brush, work Harpsichord on your lid from the inner corner towards the centre.
3. With the other side of that flat shader brush, apply Rewind from the centre of the lid to the outer corner.
4. Grabbing your fluffy crease brush and a mix of Rewind and Vox (the greyish brown in the middle), lightly blend into the crease.
5. With Skulls and a dense shadow brush, apply that to your brow bone to highlight. You’ll also apply this colour to the inner corners of your eyes to highlight there as well.
6. With Black Metal and an angled liner brush, apply that along your lash line. I stopped the line where my eyes end, choosing not to wing it out.
7. Apply your mascara and add some falsies. I used Kiss Ever EZ lashes starter kit (keep reading to win your own set!).
8. With a combination of Rewind and Vox again, blend that on your lower lash line, then add a nude liner to your waterline to open up the eye area (I used Sephora Collection Colourful Shadow and Liner in Beige) and then apply mascara to your lower lashes.
For the lips I used a combination of Gerard Cosmetics Kimchi Doll and then Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Lolita. Contour was done with the Smashbox Contour Kit and the cheeks and highlight were from the Becca Cosmetics Jaclyn Hill Champagne Pop palette.
Honestly, the photos don’t do this look justice. The eyeshadow colours were just so gorgeous once they were applied. Any of these shades I think would just look so gorgeous as a holiday look. Spice it up with some wispy lashes and false nails and you are set (hint, keep reading…).
Unfortunately, this set is sold out online, but check your local Sephora store to see if they still have it. At C$71, it is pricier for strictly an eyeshadow palette (compared to other sets out there, which include more than just eyeshadows), but the quality of the shadows are amazing and much better than other sets I have tried this holiday season.
Regardless of which holiday shadows you will be rocking this year, I want you to complete the look with a giveaway from Kiss. The company was gracious to give me lots of nails and lashes to give away to two lucky readers which will win a set of the Gel Fantasy nails, the Kiss Ever EZ Lashes Starter Kit (honestly, the best false lashes and the best lash glue, I swear by this kit!), and a pair of their Kiss Looks So Natural lashes.
Contest is open internationally until December 24, 2015, enter via the Rafflecopter below. Happy holidays and good luck!
Also, don’t forget to enter my Wen by Chaz Dean giveaway. Also two winners!
a Rafflecopter giveaway