You know when you see a new makeup collection and it just screams a certain season? Well, that’s what the Mary Kay Light, Reinvented Collection for spring 2017 did for me.
From the packaging to the products themselves, everything about this just says flowers blooming, snow melting and sun shining. The collection is comprised of nails polishes, lip oils, and eyeshadows.
Although I have a few other swatch posts coming up I just needed to dip my toes into this collection ASAP and do up a look that is so appropriate for both Valentine’s Day and spring.
Although everything in this collection is beyond gorgeous, there are two quads that I just about died over when I looked at them. Seriously, don’t these just scream spring?! Best of all, they are magnetic, meaning that you can easily add them to any Z Palette (I have an empty one burning a metaphoric hole in my makeup closet). These retail for C$26 each and are available in both cool and warm tones.
Since Valentine’s Day also means date night, I wanted to use these palettes to do a romantic look that can easily transcend from a day date to a night one. I did end up using both palettes, as well as an assortment of other favourite items from various brands to do this romantic look.
1. Fill in your brows and then lay down an eyeshadow primer (I used Make Up For Ever Pro Sculpting Brow Palette and Maybelline Master Prime Long-Lasting Eyeshadow Primer). With the orange shade from the Mary Kay Spring 2017 Light, Reinvented Eye Palette in Sunlight and a fluffy crease brush, apply this lightly in the crease, acting as a transition shade.
2. With the same brush and the pink shade from the same quad, apply that lightly over the orange.
3. Grabbing the champagne colour, apply that over your lid area, fading it lightly into the crease colour.
4. With the shimmering champagne colour from the Glistening Horizon palette from the same collection, apply this over the other champagne on the lid to add some dimension and shine to the lids.
5. With the purple colour from the Glistening Horizon palette, apply this over the pink colour in the crease.
6. With a brown gel liner (like the Tartiest Gel Liner), apply this along your upper lash line, winging it out. Curl your lashes, then apply some mascara and some falsies. I used Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes mascara and Kiss Products Ever EZ lashes.
7. For the lower lash line, apply a purple gel shadow, like Maybelline ColourTattoo Cream Eyeshadow Crayon in Lavish Lavender, then with the purple from the Glistening Horizon palette, apply that over top of the cream, then coat your lower lashes with mascara.
8. Apply all your face makeup. For foundation I used Marc Jacobs re(Marc)able foundation, Kat Von D Lock-It Concealer Cream, Make Up For Ever HD powder, Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit, Marc Jacobs Air Blush Soft Glow Duo in Night Fever & Hot Stuff, Maybelline Strobing Liquid Illuminating Highlighter, and Make Up For Ever Pro Light Fusion Highlighter in Golden Pink.
9. For the lips, I first outlined them using the Kylie Cosmetics Koko K liner, then applied the Tartiest Quick Dry Matte Lip Paint in Bestie, with the Mary Kay Glossy Lip Oil in Sheer Pink over top.
Pair this look with some loose curls and you have a very V-Day or spring-appropriate look. I loved how this turned out since it was very soft and if you have blue or green eyes, then the pinks and purples really make them pop.
As for the eyeshadows, the pigmentation on these were great, the colour went on nicely and wasn’t too harsh. They also blended out incredibly well and layered perfectly over one another.
I’ll have reviews of the lip oils and nail polishes coming up next week. Let me know if you try this look out!
Also, don’t forget to enter my Dirty Dancing – The Classic Story on Stage ticket giveaway!
Please note, I received this product for review. All opinions are my own.
Like what you read? Check out these related posts.
- Rockin’ Romance at the Beauty United #MusicGlam Grammy Party
- A trip to Toronto with P&G Beauty United!
- Snaps from Toronto part 1
- Snaps from Toronto part 2