So it comes as no surprise that my go-to going out look is a bronze smokey eye. I feel like most of my tutorials on here feature that look, just with different products used. I find that a bronze or copper smokey eye is the most flattering for my skin type, and eye shape and colour, that although I sometimes tend to venture on a different path, more often than not I always go back to my tried and true.
So this brings me to this post. Yes, it’s going to be a bronze smokey eye, but with a twist. Let’s change it up with some shimmer. Every beauty blogger has a wish list of items that they just need to have in their life, but for various reasons (price, availability), it’s not in their collection yet. My number one? The Stila Magnificant Metals Foil Finish Eyeshadow in Kitten. I’ve been lusting after this coveted shadow for awhile. It’s unique in that it’s a cream flakey shadow that you combine with a mixing medium to create a shimmery, sparkly, metallic shadow that is unlike anything I have seen, or even have in my makeup collection (and my collection is rather large).
I finally bit the bullet about a month ago when I was gifted a $25 Shoppers Drug Mart gift card, and rather than spend the cash on something practical (contact solution, tampons, etc.), I just had to have that particular shadow. Oh, did I mention that it retails for C$42? Yeah, there’s that. So you can easily see why I just haven’t said “F it” and bought it because yeah, technically I don’t need it, and it’s a lot of money for one shadow. But now that it’s in my collection, it’s love.
I’ve used this shadow pretty much every time I go out, since it brings the right amount of sparkle to any look. Pair it with a winged liner and some false lashes and you are good to go for any night out. Since I was going out this past Saturday and I had some time to sit down and do my makeup (I had an hour to kill before this Asian buffet place we were going to #hangry), I thought this would make a good post since this particular shadow is extremely popular and even if you don’t have the metals version of it, Stila’s Kitten is a cult favourite.
1. Lay down an eyeshadow primer and fill in your brows. I used MAC Paint Pot in Nubile because it’s skin-coloured (this was LE, but Painterly is a good dupe). Then, with an orange shadow (like Make Up for Ever Artist Shadow in S-74) and a fluffy crease brush, work this lightly into your crease.
2. With a rose-coloured shadow (like Make Up For Ever Artist Shadow in I-808, which also doubles as a blush) and that same fluffy crease brush, work this over the orange colour.
3. Next, with a flat shader brush and a cream shadow, like MAC Naked Lunch, apply this over your lid area, concentrating the colour from the inner corner to the centre of the lid.
4. With Stila Magnificant Metals Foil Finish Eyeshadow in Kitten, place this lightly (using your fingers) over the neutral shadow you applied on your lids.
5. For the crease, apply a sand-coloured brown. I used the lighter shade from the NARS Cordura duo.
6. Apply your eyeliner, winging it out, mascara and false lashes (if you wish). I used Rimmel London’s new ScandalEyes Giant Liquid Eyeliner in black, CoverGirl LashBlast Bloomsies mascara with New York Color Smokin’ Hot Show Time mascara over top, and some Ardelle lashes for extra volume.
7. Apply your foundation and concealer. Then, along your lower lash line, lie down a base. Since we are placing that same brown that we used in the crease, I put CoverGirl Flamed Out Shadow Pencil in Caramel Flame. After, place the sand brown over top and then put a nude-coloured liner in the waterline to open up the eye area. I used Rimmel London ScandalEyes Kohl Kajal liner in nude. Coat your lower lashes in mascara.
For foundation, I used NARS Sheer Glow in Vallarius, IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Undereye in Light for concealer with the banana shade from the Anastasia Contour Kit over top, Maybelline Fit Me foundation sticks in Cappuccino to liquid contour, then used a shade from the Anastasia Countour Kit over top. For blush I used Make Up For Ever HD Blush in #19, and for lips I used NYX Butter Gloss in Eclair over my foundation lips. To set everything I used Make Up For Ever Mist & Fix.
Yes, it’s like my billionth brown smokey eye, but I absolutely love this one. This look is also great without the foiled shadow over top, but if you’re like me, you’ll love the extra glitter ;).
What’s the number-one item on your beauty wish list?
Like what you read? Check out these related posts.
- Ooh la la! Valentine’s Day Gift Guide, plus giveaway!
- How to be a #bombshell!
- Lovespell: a sweet Valentine’s Day look
- Bring on the glitz!