In case you have been living under a rock for the past few days, last Friday marked the opening of the XXII Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia.
As one of the top three most-viewed sporting events (the Summer Olympics and the FIFA World Cup take the other spots), the Olympic Winter Games are an event that I look forward to every four years. My love for the games started with the 1998 Nagano Winter Olympics in Japan. I remember studying the event in school and from there, it has always been my favourite sporting event.
For the last Winter Olympics in Vancouver, I was actually a production assistant for APTN, where I got to watch a ton of the games and see them from a broadcasting perspective. I worked long hours, mostly every day, but it was so much fun and flew by, and honestly, if the opportunity would have popped up again for these games, I would have jumped at the chance to do it all over again.
I’m not a huge fan of the summer games, but maybe because I’m Canadian, I love watching winter sports way better. Plus, figure skating totally trumps any summer game there is.
Ask any of my friends and they will tell you that I’m not a sports person, but you can’t help but cheer and feel a sense of pride when the Olympics are on. I find myself decked out in HBC Team Canada gear and my official broadcasting jacket from the last games, and in true beauty blogger fashion, my nails just have to match!
Celebrity manicurist Mar Y Soul has crafted a one-of-a-kind nail look using the Sephora FORMULA X products that will have your nails looking like gold. I have recreated it here and threw in a touch of my own.
I did use the Sephora FORMULA X system and the three colours pictured above (Curiosity – the red; Wham! – the speckled white; and Dark Matter – the black), of course, you can use any brand of polish to recreate this manicure – of shall I say, fanicure ;).
1. Use the Formula X System to prep your nails. Start with CLEANSE, then put on a coat of PRIME, the base coat.
Apply two coats of Curiosity, or a similar red polish to all your nails.
2 & 3. Apply Wham!, the speckled white colour on your ring finger and thumb.
4. With Dark Matter, or any black polish, paint a half moon and stripe on your index and pinky finger.
5. This step is my own – on your middle finger, paint a heart using the black polish. I actually used Sally Hansen I Heart Nail Art Striper in black for more precision, but you can use a brush and the black polish instead. Finally, paint Wham!, the speckled white on the half moons on your index and pinky and then on the black heart.
Seal everything with SHINE or a similar top coat.
And that’s the final look! Throw on your HBC Team Canada mittens and you are all set!
I also wanted to note that I was watching the medals ceremony on Sunday for Women’s Moguls and Justine Dufour-Lapointe’s, the Canadian gold medallist for the sport, nails were on point.
Show me your Olympic inspired mani in the comment section below! Go Canada, go!
One more thing, don’t forget to enter my Matrix Valentine’s Day giveaway! Ends Friday!
Please note, I was sent this product from PR. All opinions are my own.
Like what you read? Check out these related posts:
- A different take on swimsuit shopping: essie summer 2012 collection
- NOTD: essie Mint Candy Apple
- Essie Leading Lady winter collection 2012
- Fast and dry: Poshe Top Coat