Happy New Year chickas!
In honour of the new year, I wanted to start 2014 off right and do a makeup/outfit look. This particular one can be worn year round because it’s so classic: a winged liner and a hot red lip. Seriously, I would be more inclined to wear this during the day and then easily take it into the night. This one is also oh so perfect for the upcoming People’s Choice Awards on January 8, as nothing screams more Hollywood than a red pout.
Inspired by Christian Louboutin’s, I used Covergirl’s Passion lipstick and lip liner to create this sleek look. I kept the rest of the face neutral with a winged liner and some falsies to create a flirty look.
Here’s how to recreate it!
1. Since it’s the last day of the year, we want to step into 2014 smelling nice and clean. Before shampooing I often apply Matrix’s Exquisite Oil Tamanu Oil Strengthening Treatment to protect my strands. For extra shine, I used Pantene’s Smooth shampoo and conditioner, which is infused with Argan oil.
2. After the shower, apply an eye cream and moisturizer. I used Benefit’s It’s Potent and Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream moisturizer which fights the signs of wrinkles and aging.
3. Starting with makeup, apply a primer and then your foundation. I used a full-coverage foundation for this look because we really want to make the focus on the lips. I used Covergirl Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 foundation in 910.
4. For concealer, I used a shade a bit lighter than my skin tone from the Make Up For Ever 5-Color Camouflage Palette and then went over that with the Olay Total Effects 7-in-1 Anti-Aging Eye Cream Line and Dark Circle Minimizing Brush, which adds a bit of highlight to the area. I love this stuff, I have been adding it over my concealer everyday. It’s like a cheaper version of YSL Touche Eclat.
5. To set everything, apply a powder foundation. I used Covergirl & Olay Pressed Powder in 320.
6. Fill in your brows with either a dark eyeshadow or brow pencil. I used a matte dark brown from the Smashbox Full Exposure palette then Benefit’s Gimme Brow to set everything. After, add a shimmery white to highlight your brow bone. I used Covergirl Flamed Out Shadow Pencil in 305.
7. Moving onto the eyes, apply either a primer, or a nude cream shadow. I used MAC Paint Pot in Nubile, which was limited edition. MAC’s Painterly would be a good dupe.
8. Using either a liquid or a pencil liner, line your upper lash line and wing it out. I used Covergirl Ink It! Perfect Point Plus All-Day Eye Pencil in 230 Black Ink. I chose to go with a pencil rather than a liquid or gel because I have a bit more control with this. This particular pencil is also waterproof so it’s not going to budge.
9. Curl your lashes, apply a couple coats of mascara and then pop on some falsies. For the bottom lashes, I lined my waterline with a nude liner (Rimmel London ScandalEyes Kohl Kajal liner in Nude) and then went over my bottom lashes with Covergirl Lash Blast Clump Crusher mascara, which I also used on my top lashes. False lashes are by MAC; try to keep the lashes wispy and natural looking.
10. Back to the face! Apply a bronzer to contour your cheekbones, taking the colour up onto your temples. I used Covergirl Clean Glow Bronzer in 120 Spices (love this bronzer!).
11. Since we want the face to look natural, apply a tan-coloured blush. I used NARS Madly.
12. Add some shimmer to your cheekbones to finish up the face. I used Benefit High Beam.
13. Now the main part, the lips! Line your lips and then fill them in with a red lip liner, like Covergirl Lip Perfection in 215 Passion. Then, with a colour the same shade or close to it, apply this to your lips, keeping within the lines! I used a Covergirl lipstick in the 305 Hot Passion.
14. This part is optional and can be done earlier, but pop on a pair of Crest 3D White Whitestripes 1-Hour Express on your teeth to make them appear whiter.
15. Now onto the hair! I usually apply a ton of products to my locks before I blowdry it. Not only did I use these in this tutorial, but I pretty much use all of these every time I wash my hair. I first start off with Pantene’s Smooth Argan Serum and then apply a split ends tamer, like Pantene’s Split Fix Instant Split End Repair Creme. After, I applied Pantene’s Ultimate 10 BB Cream to my hair and then finish up with Pantene’s Silky Moisture Whip, which I am actually obsessed with, it leaves your hair so soft. Because we will be using a blowdryer on it and then a curling iron, apply a heat tamer, like Vidal Sassoon’s Repair Spray Heat Protect & Shine. Right before my blow dry I like adding a volumizing mousse to my roots as well.
16. Blow dry your hair. I like sectioning off my hair and then use a round brush. By doing this, I’m always left with really silky locks.
17. Once your hair is completely dry, curl it using a one-inch barrel curler. I used Sultra The Bombshell One-Inch Curling Rod.
18. Spray your locks with hairspray and you are all done! I used Vidal Sassoon Flexible Hold Hairspray.
And that’s the final look! This was actually my New Year’s Eve outfit because I did something a little more low-key. Obviously though, that doesn’t mean that I had to scrimp on the glam factor.
I wore this gorgeous EDIT by Jeanne Beker blouse that I have been eyeing forever and finally got on sale on Boxing Day from The Bay. I paired it with some faux-leather leggings and then because I was inside a house, I chose to skip out on the heels and wear these black boots instead, which are so weather appropriate since I live in Winnipeg.
Blouse: Edit by Jeanne Beker (on sale!)
Faux leather leggings: Garage (similar here)
Boots: Aldo (on sale!)
Earrings: Forever 21 (old)
Ring: H&M (old)
Watch: Michael Kors
Also, keep an eye out on my twitter as I will be hosting a giveaway on January 8 for the People’s Choice Awards! Here’s what you can win:
- Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream Moisturizer
- Olay Fresh Effects Long Live Moisture Satin Finish Lotion
- Crest 3D White 1-Hour Express Strip
- Covergirl Clean Glow Bronzer in Spices
- Covergirl Lash Blast Clump Crusher mascara
- Vidal Sassoon Flexible Hold Hairspray
- Vidal Sassoon Repair Heat Protectant and Shine Spray
- Covergirl Lipstick in 305 Hot Passion
- Covergirl Lip Perfection Lip Liner in 215 Passion
- $25 Aldo Gift Card
Tweet with me on January 8 for your chance to win!
Happy New Years!
Disclosure: I am a #BeautyUnited blogger. As part of my affiliation with this group I receive products and special access to P&G events. The opinions on this blog are my own.
Like what you read? Check out these related posts:
- From BB to CC: Olay Total Effects CC Cream
- Snaps from Toronto part 2
- A trip to Toronto with P&G Beauty United
- Get whipped! Covergirl Clean Whipped Foundation