Now that it’s officially December, that means holiday parties galore. Nothing screams holiday makeup more to me than silver and glitter.
When I saw the promo images for Make Up For Ever’s holiday collection, Midnight Glow, I just about died. In true holiday form, the collection is filled with sparkle and shine, but since Make Up For Ever is a pro brand, sometimes their models may not sport the most wearable looks.
I received their glitter in gunmetal, which is actually the prettiest glitter I have ever seen. The dark grey colour sparkles like no other and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it to try out. The model in their marketing material is wearing it on the side of her face, brushed back into her hair. Now if I sported that look out in public, I personally feel like people would stop and stare (perhaps not in a good way), so I wanted to make this glitter look totally holiday appropriate (read: more commercial, less editorial).
I do want to say before we jump into the look, that this glitter is unlike their Holodiam powder as it’s a rougher, larger glitter, whereas the Holodiam powders are more fine-milled glitter. I also want to mention that according to the MUFE packaging, this particular glitter is not safe for the eye area (as per FDA regulations) in the U.S. only. I did use this around my eye area but I’m in Canada. Make sure to set this and apply it properly so it doesn’t get into your eyes.
Let’s get started!
1. Starting with a matte brown eyeshadow, apply this to your crease area. I used #17 from the MUFE Technicolor palette. Buck from the Urban Decay Naked palette is a good dupe.
2. With a matte black, lightly apply this to your crease. Make sure you use a light hand to apply the colour, we don’t want it too dark. I used #04 from the MUFE Technicolor palette, MAC’s Carbon would be a good alternative.
3. To add a little glam to the look, apply Make Up For Ever’s Aqua Cream in #3 silver to your lid area, focusing mostly from the inner corner to the middle. Then with your crease brush, blend the black into the silver. Maybelline’s Color Tattoo in Silver Strike would be a good dupe.
4. Now the fun part! With a flat shader brush, spray a setting spray or wet it with water and then dip your brush into the glitter and pat this over the black in your crease. I highly recommend placing a tissue under your eyes because there will be fall out. I used Make Up For Ever glitter in #15 gunmetal.
5. Apply a gel eyeliner to your upper lash line, slightly winging it out.
6. Working on the lower lash line, lightly dip your eyeliner brush into the black again and line your lower lash line.
7. With a flat-top shader brush, spray your brush with setting spray or water and dip it into your glitter again and lightly pat it over the black on your lower lash line.
8. Curl your lashes, apply mascara and then pop on some falsies.
9. Fill in your brows and then apply a matte white shadow to your brow bone. I used MUFE #00 from the Technicolor palette.
10. Apply your foundation and then with a concealer, apply this under your eyes, bringing it up at an angle to clean up the area. I used Covergirl Whipped Cream Foundation with Make Up For Ever’s 5-color Camouflage Concealer Palette. Set everything with a powder, I used Make Up For Ever’s Pro Finish powder.
11. To finish up the look, apply a bronzer to the hollows of your cheekbones and then apply a nude-coloured blush. I used Smashbox Suntan Matte bronzer and NARS Madly blush. For the lips, I nuded them out as well, applying Marc Jacobs Beauty Lip Gel lipstick in Strange Magic with NARS Angelika gloss over top.
And that’s the final look! This just may be my favourite holiday look for the season because it’s so appropriate. Pop on a glittered headband and a cute dress and you are good to go!
Let me know if you try it out!
One more thing, don’t forget to enter my Philosophy giveaway! Canadians only!
Please note, this post contains product that were sent by PR. All opinions are my own.
Like what you read? Check out these related posts:
- The showstopper: Marc Jacobs Beauty Showstopper Set
- Bring on the glitz!
- Get glam! Glam Glow Mud Masks
- Raindrops on roses… Too Faced A Few of my Favourite Things set