If you haven’t heard 16-year-old Lorde’s (real name Ella Yelich-O’Connor) “Royals”, go to YouTube right now and take a listen.
The infectious song’s music video features some pretty unique makeup so I thought I would try to give it a go because it’s a fun twist on a cat eye and definitely unexpected.
Here’s how I did it.
1. It’s all about the eyes for this look, so pop on an eyeshadow primer. Then, with a nude-champagne coloured eyeshadow lightly sweep this across your lids. I used Too Faced Shadow Insurance to prime and MAC All That Glitters along my lids.
2. With a gel liner, line your upper lash line. Make sure you don’t wing it out. I used Rimmel London’s ScandalEyes Waterproof Gel Liner.
3. With a blue liquid liner, lightly go over the black line. In the video, it looks like she has a bit of a gradient effect going on with the liner depending on the shot. I used Lancome Art Liner in Azure.
4. Curl your lashes, apply mascara, and pop on some falsies. For the false lashes, make sure the are wispy, she is definitely wearing falsies in the video but they aren’t too overpowering. Less is more.
5. Now the tricky part! With the gel liner, draw a line straight up with a slight angle up to your crease. Then, draw a line in following your natural crease line but less than halfway.With a matte black shadow (I used MAC Carbon) and an eyeliner brush, apply this to the inner corner of that line softening it up.
6. This part is optional, but I used a navy blue and applied that over the black in the inner area, making a gradient.
7. With whatever is left on your eyeliner brush, lightly apply this along your lower lash but about a third of the way in.
8. Apply mascara sparingly to the outer lashes along your lower lash line.
9. Apply your foundation and concealer, then fill in your eyebrows. I made mine a little thicker like Lorde’s, but that’s totally up to you.
10. Her face is very fresh so I didn’t do any contouring. Apply a pick blush to the cheeks (I used Benefit’s Rockateur) and then pop on some nude-pink lipstick, I used Marc Jacob’s LOVEMARC Lip Gel in Strange Magic.
I hope you enjoyed the look and good luck!
Like what you read? Check out these related posts:
- The best time of the year: Sephora birthday gift 2013
- It Cosmetics Hello Lashes 5-in-1 mascara
- The Lash Diaries: Lancome Hypnose Star mascara
- Northern Lights: Sephora + Pantone Universe SpectraLight collection